Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Old Friends

I just came across a blog that was all about how this gal is re-reading all the Babysitters Club books in chronological order. In chronological order of the publication date because it's impossible to read them in order according to the dates in the books. They start in seventh grade but then enter a time warp in which they never leave eighth grade. I think they do actually graduate from middle school when the series ends but I've never made it that far.

This blog that I found makes me think of a fews things, like:

1. I am always doing stuff like this, re-reading books from my childhood. Why didn't I ever write about it? July 2005 I read a Judy Blume book a day for the entire month. Sounds ripe for blogging about, but I didn't. I guess I'm just good at blogging about all the things I wish I would have blogged about.

2. Ann M. Martin, bless her, came out with a Babysitters Club prequel. I don't care about what those girls were doing before they joined the Babysitters Club. In fact, I know what they were doing; they were babysitting. They were babysitting all the time! They turned it into a business. I want to know about what happened after the Babysitters Club broke up because Kristy, Claudia, Stacy and Mary Anne all started high school and got concerned with other things. I can imagine Kristy and Mary Anne really fighting to keep the club together but Claudia and Stacy wanting to go to cool high school parties and drink and smoke cigarettes. Jessi and Mallory might as well be dead to them. They are in seventh grade and all the other members are in high school. Claudia and Stacy definitely smoke cigarettes. I bet they still smoke cigarettes (I think they would be about 36). That is if Stacy isn't dead--she does have diabetes. Oh, and Dawn! Dawn will definitely because a burn-out with dreadlocks. She's a total hippie!

3. So thinking of "Where Are They Now, Babysitters Club" just makes me think of "Ramona Quimby, Age 28" and how I really need to know what she is up to these days as well.

1 comment:

  1. Stacy isn't dead. She's just had her major extremities amputated.

    ReplyDelete