Friday, May 21, 2010

Saving Lives, One Blog Post at a Time

I didn't do anything today. I googled the name of a former classmate, Zina Helzer, because I can't find her on Facebook and the first entry in the google search was my old blog. I had written about her in an article entitled, "starbucks and j dubs." I was a little alarmed that my blog came up as the first thing. I imagined this Zina googling herself--she would probably have to use her maiden name, she must be married-- and coming across my blog. In the post I mention that she was totally awesome so that might make her day when she comes across it. It might turn around her whole sorry life. My old blog might be life changing for Zina. It's amazing. Here is my favorite line from that blog post. The post was mostly about getting a latte and going shoe shopping--riveting stuff:

This all happend in the first hour after I woke up. It was one of the longest hours of my life. I like that sometimes though, like time has slowed down and I can notice things that I hadn't before.

So of course I spent sometime slumming it on my old blog. I read most of the entries from April to August 2005. I had one semester left of college. I noticed that I blogged about my cat a lot, not my current cat, Maebie, but Salvador the cat I ended up giving to my mom because Daniel hated him. HATED HIM. I also noticed that a lot of my blogs were about feeling bad because I didn't have a job. I wish I could have patted myself on the back back then and said, "Don't fret, in five years you will have a job that you like a lot." I also blogged about being hungover, or at least mentioned being hungover a lot. I used to drink a lot more than I do now. I also smoked a lot more. This is from my post about my 24th birthday when I went bowling:

It would have been cool to skip school and go bowling. Too late now.

And from a post about Tara's wedding, which I was TOTALLY hungover at. The bachlorette party consisted of Tara and I drinking vodka tonics out of big plastic cups and smoking cigarettes:

I don't know half the people there but while outside smoking two gay guys (groom's side), go ga-ga for my eyes.

"They're so clear," one says.

"it's like i can see...i can see...tomorrow," says the other. 



"you're different," they tell me. "you're different than those other people in there. you're mature. you're supposed to be an actress." 



why do gay guys always think i should be an actress?

While bumming around on the Facebook I followed a link to the blog of another teacher at one of the studios I work at. The blog was all about loving God and being a mom. (sing song)BOR-RING.










1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh. I think it's so cool that you've been writing for so long that you can look back and identify your patterns of thinking - e.g. 'I worried about not having a job'. When your writing achieves other purposes other than just being writing = win

    ReplyDelete