Thursday, May 6, 2010

Disappointment, Starring the Babysitters Club


After realizing that I hadn't read Babysitters Club Super Special #9: Starring the Babysitters Club!, I ordered in off Amazon and it arrived in the mail yesterday. It was a great mail day. So last night I got cozy in bed and started reading it. First bummer: The book starts with Jessi's narration. She's one of my least favorite characters. Even though she and Mallory are like totally for sure in the club I always think their problems are juvenile because they are only 11. They aren't even teenagers. In some areas of the country they wouldn't even be in middle school, they'd still be in grade school. Maybe because of starting out less than stellar I was having trouble over-looking the absolute awfulness of the story. I didn't even get to the second page before I was sick of the formulaic writing of the book. I know! That's what they're all about, but for whatever reason I just couldn't handle it last night. Ann M. Martin uses parentheses too much and always in the same spot. The narrating character says how she and her friends are part of this club called the Babysitters Club, or the BSC, and they in parentheses she goes-- (more about that later). She does it in every book. I think I was imagining reading the "more" part and knew that I could recite the function of the BSC in my sleep. I am surprised at myself. I never thought I'd see the day where I would get sick of these books.

I'm not sick of the characters though. It's like I said in my earlier post--I want to know what they are doing now. I found myself saying things like, "Oh please Kristy, you know Bart is your boyfriend and you totally want to bone," in my head while reading. I'm sure I'll push through Starring the Babysitters Club regardless of how terrible it is. I'll just skim it, like it's something I have to read for school.

I know the picture isn't from the book, but I thought is was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment